TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Hon. Treasurer, Swallowtail and Birdwing Butterfly Trust (SBBT).
Since its formation in August 2017 the Trust has been fortunate to have the support of an Honorary Advisor on Finance to help establish basic procedures. This year the Trust aims to retain a Treasurer, which will be an honorary position. The incumbent will be a Trustee of SBBT. The overall role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of the Trust’s financial affairs, thereby ensuring its viability; to ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained, and to ensure that the Trust complies with its obligations under charity law. In addition to the experience and qualifications laid out below, an interest in natural history, and particularly butterflies, will be an advantage.
The Treasurer’s tasks include:
General financial oversight:
- To oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements.
- To liaise with designated staff concerning financial matters of the Trust.
- To ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- To ensure compliance with relevant legislation of the Charity Commission.
- To ensure recommendations of the auditors are implemented (as and when such compliance is required).
- To ensure accounts meet the conditions of contractual agreements with external agencies such as funders and statutory bodies, and that Invoices/Receipts are accurately recorded and maintained.
- To be fully conversant with the Swallowtail and Birdwing Butterfly Trust (SBBT) constitution and its implementation (available upon request from “firstname.lastname@example.org”), in particular sections: 5, 6, 9, & 24.
Financial planning and reporting:
- To present timely financial management reports to the Board of Trustees meetings.
- To make a presentation of the annual accounts at the annual general meeting (AGM).
- To prepare, with the Chair, the Trustees Annual Report.
- To advise on the organisation’s reserves policy (and investment policy, should this develop).
- To advise on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic and operational plans.
- To advise on the fundraising strategy of the organisation.
- To ensure that there is no conflict between any investments held and the objects of the charity.
- To sit on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Qualities and Skills Required:
- Ability to work well in a Board environment, with the Chair and other Trustees.
- Good organisational ability.
- Familiarity with the reporting obligations of a registered charity.
- A willingness to be contacted and respond on an ad hoc
- Ability to provide clear explanation of financial issues affecting the Trust.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of financial control and budgeting.
- Experience of fundraising (and pension schemes, as required).
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up in a timely manner.
- Good timekeeping.
To express an interest, in the first instance please write an email to the Chair (email@example.com) briefly describing your qualifications and the reasons for your interest.
ENDS Document date: 08/02/1018