TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Hon. Secretary, Swallowtail and Birdwing Butterfly Trust (SBBT)
This position of Secretary is an honorary one and the new incumbent will also be a Trustee of SBBT. The overall role of the Secretary is to support the Chair and Trustees in ensuring the smooth functioning of the Trust. In addition to the experience and qualifications laid out below, an interest in natural history, and particularly butterflies, would be welcome.
The Secretary’s tasks include:
- To be fully conversant with the Swallowtail and Birdwing Butterfly Trust (SBBT) constitution and its implementation (available upon request from “email@example.com”).
- To prepare agendas in consultation with the Chair and to receive additional agenda items from other Trustees as required.
- To circulate agendas and any supporting papers in good time before meetings and in line with the requirements of the Constitution, in particular paragraphs 15, 18, 22, 23 & 24.
- To ensure that a quorum is present at any meetings.
- To record the minutes of meetings, send them to the Chair in the first instance and, after amendment, as needed, circulate them to all Trustees.
- To ensure that the Chair signs the minutes as a correct record once they have been amended and approved at the first available meeting of the Board.
- To retain soft copies of signed minutes in PDF format in a folder on the Secretary’s computer, and hard copies with original signatures in an approved minute book.
- To check that Trustees, consultants, advisors and staff have carried out action(s) agreed at any Board or committee meeting.
- To circulate agendas and minutes of any annual general meetings (AGM) and other special meetings of the Trust.
- To ensure up-to-date records are kept of Trustees and Honorary Advisors.
- To maintain an up-to-date record of any conflicts of interest disclosed by Trustees.
- As SBBT is a Charitable Incorporated Organization (Charity No. 1174142), ensure that the organization complies with the requirements of the Charity Commission in terms of registration, reporting, changes to governing documents, names of Trustees and other matters.
Make Arrangements for Meetings:
- To ensure arrangements for meetings are met (booking the room, arranging for access, equipment and refreshments, assist with organising facilities).
- To sit on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
Qualities and Skills Required:
- Familiarity with Charity Law and the workings of voluntary and not-for-profit organisations, in particular this CIO.
- Ability to work well with the Chair and Trustees.
- Good organisational ability, efficiency and timeliness.
- Experience of committee work and procedures.
- Approachable and sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Minute-taking experience.
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed up in a timely manner
- This role requires commitment and enthusiasm for the work of the Trust.
To express an interest, in the first instance please write an email to the Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) briefly describing your qualifications and the reasons for your interest.
ENDS Document date: 08/02/2018